Creating Your Office Space
When you look around your office or your work space what do you see? I believe there are certain ďtoolsĒ that are a must for any work space:
1. A clock or a watch. I believe itís very important to know how long you are investing in each task. If youíre writing an article, how long have you been writing that article? If you are placing ads, how long have you been sitting at your computer placing those ads? Perhaps you are speaking with folks on Instant Messenger. Itís amazing how much time can fly by when you are chatting with others. Having a clock or a watch lets you be accountable for your time.
2. Your calendar. I still keep my calendar offline. Many folks keep their calendars online. Either way, a calendar is a must. With your clock or watch, your calendar will help keep you on schedule. I write in both personal and business commitments. I donít want to tell someone Iíll call them at 2 p.m. tomorrow if I have to be at my daughterís school at 2:15 p.m. tomorrow.
3. Paper and pen. I believe you should have paper and pen everywhere. You should have paper and pen by your desk, by your bed, in your vehicle and for women that carry a purse, you should have paper and pen in your purse. Ideas come to us at all times, day and night. When we get ideas, we need to be able to jot down our thoughts, so that we can act on them later.
4. Your goal sheet. In order to know what needs to be accomplished today, youíll need your goal sheet. Goal sheets can be detailed or they can be a simple task list. I believe goal sheets are very similar to road maps. Road maps tell us how to get where we need to go. If weíre on familiar roads, our map can be very simple. If we are on unfamiliar roads, we need a more detailed map.
5. A phone. Itís near impossible to run a business without a phone. I have both a home phone and a cell phone. I also have a calling card for my home phone. At one time I had a separate line for my business. Today, with calling card rates so low, I just use a calling card on my home phone. I know that calls made on the calling card are charged to the business.
My own work space also includes a bottle of water and my computer. I believe that with the above tools, youíll be ready to make the most of each day as it comes to you.
~ ~ ~ ~
Audrey Okaneko has been working at home since 1983. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
or visited at http://www.my.tupperware.com/audreyoka